|Character||Fl (2) 8s|
|Sectors||W Vis208°-092° (244°)|
|Light Range||10 nautical miles|
|Height of Tower||12 metres|
|Height of Light above MHWS||15 metres|
The Chamber of Commerce of Limerick applied for lights at Scattery Island and Kilcredaun Head in January 1819. After careful consideration by the Corporation for Improving the Port of Dublin the latter location was selected and a light established on 1st September 1824.
The Inspecting Committee of the Corporation (Ballast Board) presented a report to the Board on 30th December 1864 urging the necessity of a light on the south point of Scattery Island to lead into the roads. The report was forwarded to the Board of Trade in London with a strong recommendation from the Ballast Board. On 17th January 1865 the Board of Trade replied stating that they could not sanction a light being paid out of the Mercantile Marine Fund; the Limerick Harbour Board were informed accordingly.
Fifteen months later the Board of Trade informed the Corporation that they had received a letter from the Limerick Harbour Board praying for a light and stating that if the Ballast Board still held the opinion that the light might be defrayed out of the Marine Fund, the Ballast Board should apply to the Trinity Board. This was done and deputations from the Ballast and Trinity Boards met at the locality on 13th July 1866. Two weeks later Trinity House conveyed their statutory sanction for the light and a buoy to mark the Rinanna Shoal. The Board of Trade sanction was received in August 1866.
The best position for the light was within the boundary of the ground where the War Department had a battery. Consequently the light would have to be on rails so that it could be moved during firing practice.
A Lightkeeper's dwelling and a simple iron framework to carry the lantern and apparatus, similar to the light at Drogheda West was designed but due to delays with the War Department permission to construct the station was not granted until late 1867, building did not start until spring 1868. On 29th October 1868 the iron framework which was almost complete was damaged in a severe gale finishing up at the foot of the glacis of the fort. It was decided not to rebuild and strengthen the structure but to construct a small stone tower close to the dwelling. The light was first established on 1st December 1872.
The light was converted from oil to acetylene using a water-to-carbide generating plant on 27th October 1933, The Keeper was withdrawn at this time and an Attendant took charge of the light from 5 January 1933.
Towards the end of 1977 the water-to-carbide acetylene plant was replaced by dissolved acetylene bottles and conversion to propane took place in 1981.
On 16 September 2002 a new solar powered electric light was established at this station and the original 1872 optic, along with the 1981 propane gas illumination equipment, was given on loan to Kilrush Community Development Ltd., for display in its proposed Scattery Island Visitors Centre.