|Character||Fl WR 3s|
|Sectors||W312°-050° (98°), R050°-122° (72°), R(Unintes)122°-242° (120°), R242°-312° (70°)|
|Light Range||White 18 nautical miles, Red 14 nautical miles|
|Height of Light above MHWS||18 metres|
The buildings were designed by Inspector George Halpin and built under contract by Mr Howard of Limerick. The tower is white with a black band.
The light was first established on 1st August 1847.
Shore dwellings for the Keepers and their families were built at Castletownbere in the early 1900s but the station had been relieving from 1896 with the Keepers living in lodgings in Castletownbere.
The light was converted from vapourised paraffin to electric on 23rd September 1975 at which time the station became unwatched. The character of the light is Fl WR every 3 seconds. The range is white 18 nautical miles and red 14 nautical miles with the following sectors: White 312° - 050° (098°) Red 050° - 312° (262°)
The station is in the care of an Attendant and the aids to navigation are also monitored via a telemetry link from the Lighthouse Depot in Dun Laoghaire.